Re: [GSoC Project] Implementing NFS v4.2

On 04/09/2012 07:34 PM, David Quigley wrote:
On 04/09/2012 20:27, Calvin Owens wrote:
On 04/05/2012 10:17 PM, Myklebust, Trond wrote:
On Thu, 2012-04-05 at 19:03 -0500, Calvin Owens wrote:
Hello all,

I'm interested in implementing the draft specification for NFS v4.2
as a
Google Summer of Code project. That includes server-side copying,
sparse
files, and carrying fadvise() calls through to the server, among other
things.

The current document can be found here:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion2-07

Is this something that you need to be done? If so, I'd very much
like to
be involved. :)

Hi Calvin,

Labelled NFS is likely to be merged into 3.5 (if Dave Q finds the time
to port his existing code).

Copy offload already exists in prototype form. The main remaining issue
is working out the user syscall interface, which really requires getting
all the interested filesystem maintainers to agree (we've started on
doing that).

If you'd like to contribute, then I'd suggest looking into SEEK (for
providing lseek(SEEK_HOLE/SEEK_DATA) support. There is also the hole
punching/space reservation, that should fit nicely into the fallocate()
system call.

Yes, that sounds good. I'll start looking into that.

The efficient sparse file read and fadvise support might be nice too,
but I'd like to see numbers for how they improve matters before I feel
comfortable saying yea or nay to adding those specific features.

I definitely see your point. It does seem to be a lot of added
complexity for a negligible benefit.

Note that there are also a bunch of NFSv4.1 features that have yet to be
implemented, so the above list of tasks is not exhaustive. I'd be happy
to work with you to find something...

What else, precisely, would you like to get done? I need to get some
more detailed objectives to put into my application. (Forgive me for
so blatantly not looking myself, but it seems more efficient than me
digging through the code finding missing features and lobbing them at
you for approval, when I'm sure you know exactly where your priorities
are...)

Thanks very much,
Calvin Owens

Finishing up the port of Labeled NFS would be some low hanging fruit if
someone wants to help tackle it. I'll be trying to find time to work on
it but its unclear how soon I'll be able to get around to it.

Dave

Okay. I took a look at your lnfs git tree - just to make sure I understand: the patchset was originally against 2.6.33, and you're working to make it apply to the current kernel, with the same functionality? And stuff has changed enough since then that it's not trivial? Or am I completely missing the point?

Thanks,
Calvin Owens