Re: NFS4 over VPN hangs when connecting > 2 clients

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 05:27:08PM -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 05:14:16PM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
> > IMO, the server should do a comparison of the nfs_client_id4 strings,
> > and nothing else.
>
> We're supposed to return CLID_INUSE when we see a setclientid from a
> "different" client using the same string, to keep clients from doing
> mischief with other clients' state (either maliciously or, as in this
> case, accidentally).
>
> "Different" here is defined as "not having the same principal".  I know
> what that means in the krb5 case, but I'm less certain in the auth_sys
> case.

Cc'ing the ietf list.  Is it reasonable for a server to expect
setclientid's to come from the same client IP address at least in the
auth_sys case, or could that break multi-homed clients?

At least in the auth_sys case IP addresses are one of the only things we
have left to go on when the client's identifier-generation is messed up
(not that difficult).

--b.