About Direct I/O

Hello,
I am trying to do random sector aligned writes to an NFS mounted disk. The
performance is order of magnitude worse than 4K (file system block size)
aligned I/O.
The reason is that NFS demon (Linux kernel 2.6.32) on the server side
always does buffered I/O, which behaves poorly for block unaligned
requests.
Is there a way to tell NFS daemon to use direct I/O?
If not, is it an implementation limitation or there is a fundamental
problem with using direct I/O in NFS server?

Thank you,

Alex