Re: NFSv4 client restriction

On 02/23/2012 03:16 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
On 02/23/2012 02:09 AM, steve wrote:
It is not recommended to use the pseudoroot fsid=0 stuff for Linux.

See the nfs wiki: 'The linux implementation allows you to designate a
real filesystem as the pseudofilesystem, identifying that export with
the fsid=0 option; we no longer recommend this. Instead, on any recent
linux distribution, just list exports in /etc/exports exactly as you
would for NFSv2 or NFSv3.'
I believe the last time this came up, i asked for a rationale or
explanation.  The only reason given [0] was from J. Bruce Fields:
I've never got to the bottom of this one either. I only know that it works.
The main problem with the fsid=0 trick is that your v3 and v4 clients
end up with different paths.
But if say, you're exporting /home and have /home bind mounted to your pseudoroot, then the paths are exactly the same. You still mount -t nfsx server:/home /client/somewhere for x=3 or x=4. No?
So, if you have no v3 clients, i don't think there is any reason to
avoid fsid=0 if it makes things cleaner for you.  And removing fsid=0
will require you to change /etc/fstab (or your automounter config) in
all of your clients.
Please accept my apologies for butting in on this. I'm simply trying to get some facts together.
Cheers,
Steve