NFS4: ID-mapping Problem with Linux Client and NetApp Server

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a couple of Active-directory integrated Linux machines
using NFS4 volumes on a NetApp Server as storage media.

So far, I'm nearly there, but the final step seems to be missing:

My client (Debian GNU/Linux with nfs-utils 1.2.5) can mount the NetApp
Emulator and Users are managed completely by AD Objects using nslcd.

Now I try to mount the NetApp Emulator vis NFS4 as root:

mount  -t nfs4 -o sec=krb5 dataontap-801.<fqdn>:/vol/v_testhome1/testhome1 /mnt/

This also works, however the NetApp is printing some strange warning:

[nfsd.rpc.request.bad:warning]: Client 10.1.7.174 is sending bad rpc requests with error: RPC version mismatch or authentication error(73)
[nfsd.auth.status.bad:warning]: Client 10.1.7.174 has an authentication error 2

This is probably harmless and caused by the local root which does not have a
valid AD account.

After the mount I can successfully browse the volume as user and my machine
is even able to read/write files to/from the server.

However the files are not owned by the correct users. Server is just sending
me invalid stuff.

Here is the owner string I get from the server looking into the packets using
wireshark:

recc_attr: FATTR4_OWNER (36)
    fattr4_owner: root@<fqdn>
        length: 19
        contents: root@<fqdn>
        fill bytes: opaque data
recc_attr: FATTR4_OWNER_GROUP (37)
    fattr4_owner_group: nobody
        length: 6
        contents: nobody
        fill bytes: opaque data

However checking with Windows and SMB these files are not owned by root but
rather by the user which is trying to access the server.

On a Linux machine I would now try to run the server side rpc.idmapd with
verbose options, but unfortunately with NetApp I don't know exactly what to do.

So, any hint what I am missing here?

Client side userid mapping seems to work fine, as I can seen something like
this wehen running rpc.idmapd in verbose mode:

rpc.idmapd: Client 11: (user) name "root@<fqdn>" -> id "0"
rpc.idmapd: Client 11: (group) name "nobody" -> id "65534"

Regards

Sven

--
"A strategy for rewarding artists that regulates 'copies' makes as much sense
in the digital age as a strategy for controlling greenhouse gases that