Re: [RFC:PATCH 3.1.0] do_mount: Add mount retry option for nfs root mount.

On 01/25/2012 08:52 PM, Chuck Lever wrote:

>>  I always thought that was inconsistent. With an hard mount NFS
>>  will never give up and will retry for ever freezing all IOers until
>>  the server came back. Only with root-mount it gives up.
>
> Not true, user space mount can also give up. See nfs(5), the retry=
> option. This is not NFS I/O we're talking about here, there is no
> risk of data corruption. So "hard" versus "soft" does not apply.

OK I see your point

>>  Please explain what is the benefits of giving up at all. Can a machine
>>  be at all usable without it's root?
>
> There are several different root file system options built into the
> kernel. NFSROOT is but one. Each is tried in succession. If NFSROOT
> never gives up, then the others that follow it are never tried.

OK I did not know that. Thanks for the explanation, good to know.
In the few times I tried NFSROOT I never setup an alternative.

I wish that in the case that the NFSROOT is the only option it would
keep trying.

When the Kernel does not find it's root it panics, I know. If the sata
disk is not there, it's not there. But with NFSROOT there is a good chance it
will come up soon. (We all saw the same power outage and the server is slow
to boot)

I just think it could be more user friendly that's all

Thanks
Boaz