Re: [RFC:PATCH 3.1.0] do_mount: Add mount retry option for nfs root mount.

On 01/25/2012 08:32 PM, Jim Rees wrote:
> Boaz Harrosh wrote:
>
>   On 01/25/2012 04:50 PM, Srinivas KANDAGATLA wrote:
>   > From: Srinivas Kandagatla <srinivas.kandagatla@xxxxxx>
>   >
>   > This patch adds mountretry kernel parameter for nfs root mount.
>   > mount retry indicates the number of times nfs root mount attempts to be
>   > made before giving up. If this option is not specified, the default
>   > value of 3 retries is used.
>   >

>   If the system is set to have root on NFS. And the root is not found
>   what does it do? does it Just bums out with a recovery console?
>
>   So what better options does it have other then retry for ever. die?
>
>   I always thought that was inconsistent. With an hard mount NFS
>   will never give up and will retry for ever freezing all IOers until
>   the server came back. Only with root-mount it gives up.
>
>   Please explain what is the benefits of giving up at all. Can a machine
>   be at all usable without it's root?
>
> Doesn't grub have some fallback logic in case the given kernel/root fails?

If grub has one set, then it can also put a parameter to specify the retry count.
(I do like this patch)

> Also, don't you want some indication that it's not working other than just a
> blank screen?

Sure print like hell on every loop bigger then 5 (And sleep between trys)
but keep trying until interrupted (alt+ctrl+delete)

I'm just saying that the default should be "max_uint" not 5

Just my $0.017
Boaz