Re: [RFC 0/4] NFS: Modularize NFS v3

On Thu Dec  1 12:36:42 2011, Jim Rees wrote:
> bjschuma@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>   From: Bryan Schumaker <bjschuma@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
>   This set of patches removes NFS v3 from the main NFS kernel module and creates
>   a new module containing the proc, xdr, and acl code.  This will give us a
>   single directory to put NFS v3 specific code so it doesn't need to be mixed in
>   with the generic client stuff.
>
> Thanks!  Is v4 next?  This will come in handy when we implement v5.

I wonder if there would be a sane way of creating modules for minor
versions of v4 rather than waiting for v5?

> But seriously...  If we take this to its logical conclusion, won't we need a
> subdirectory for nfs4?  And if we do that, will block and object layout be
> subdirectories of nfs, or of v4?

Yeah, there would be a v4 subdirectory.  I would expect that they would
be moved to subdirectories of v4, since they shouldn't be needed for
generic NFS, v2 or v3.

> And while we're at it, should file layout move to a subdir like block and
> object?

That would make sense to me.  It would be more consistent with what the
other layout modules are doing.

> And what about v2?  There's only nfs2xdr.c, so a subdir seems like overkill.

v2 also has proc.c, it's just not named "nfs2proc.c".  Right now,
turning on CONFIG_NFS_FS will always turn on v2, so unless this is
changed it won't need a separate subdirectory.  Another thought: would
there be any benefit to splitting nfs*proc.c and/or nfs*xdr.c into
multiple files?