Re: nfs server issues

The parent should have gone to the list.

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
Jim Rees wrote:
Bruce Dubbs wrote:

  I am trying to document the installation of nfs for Linux From
  Scratch.  The client works, but the server does not and I'm looking
  for some help.   If this is the wrong place to ask for help, please
  redirect me.
    For now, I am only trying to get nfs version 3 to work.
    # mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=3 lfs6:/home/bdubbs /mnt/test
     [ mounts OK ]
  # mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=3 localhost:/usr/src /mnt/tmp
# mount.nfs: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not supported

It doesn't explain the error message you're getting, but your exports file
doesn't have an entry for localhost.  When I try this I get "mount.nfs:
access denied by server while mounting localhost:/usr/src".

I added
/usr/src 127.0.0.0/8(rw,async,no_root_squash,subtree_check)

but still got 'requested NFS version or transport protocol is not supported'. I suspect it has something to do with rpcbind not having nfsd registered on port 2049. At least rpcinfo doesn't know about it.

  2. Build libtirpc
     Remove auth_des.c authdes_prot.c des_crypt.c from Makefile
     Comment out authdes_create() in rpc_soc.c
     ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/lib

This shouldn't be necessary.  Instead of working around the problem, it
would be nice if you could figure out why you needed to do this, and if
there is a bug in the configure magic, let us know.

Which shouldn't be necessary? The change to the Makefile/rpc_soc.c files or the -prefix and --libdir options?

I just went back and rebuilt without the file changes and it built fine. I'm not sure what happened to change it, but it was definitely needed before. Sometimes when you are building a whole system from scratch, some assumed prereqs are not installed. I'll have to figure that out to get it right. I suspect it was because I originally didn't get the replacement of the rpc/nis headers that glibc now omits installed correctly.

Now I remember. Without the patch, other programs don't link. For example, rpcbind gives:

gcc -g -O2 -o rpcbind check_bound.o rpcbind.o rpcb_svc_4.o rpcb_svc_com.o util.o pmap_svc.o rpcb_stat.o rpcb_svc.o security.o warmstart.o /lib/libtirpc.so -lnsl -lpthread -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/lib
/lib/libtirpc.so: undefined reference to `key_encryptsession_pk'
/lib/libtirpc.so: undefined reference to `getnetname'
/lib/libtirpc.so: undefined reference to `_des_crypt_call'
/lib/libtirpc.so: undefined reference to `getpublickey'
/lib/libtirpc.so: undefined reference to `key_gendes'

This is a glibc-2.14 and later issue.

As for the --prefix and --libdir options, we may not need the --prefix. Most packages install in /usr/local without it. The --libdir is to install in /lib instead of /usr/lib so the library is available if /usr is not mounted. Without the setting, we would have to move the files and also modify the libdir line in both libtirpc.la and libtirpc.pc.

  -- Bruce