Re: unexpected NFS timeouts, related to sync/async soft mounts over TCP

On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 15:52 +0000, Andrew Cooper wrote:

> On 10/11/11 15:29, Chuck Lever wrote:

> Sorry.  I am not sure I was clear.  An EIO does not present itself with
> a hard mount, but a TCP FIN is still injected into the stream by the
> client, causing 15 seconds of deadlock, eventually fixed by sending a
> RST and restarting with a new TCP stream.  At this point, softmounts
> throw an EIO while hardmounts restart and continue successfully.
>
> My problem is not the EIO on softmount or lack of EIO for hardmout, but
> the fact that the client sees fit to try and close the TCP stream while
> an apparently otherwise healthy NFS session is ongoing.

The client will attempt to close the TCP connection on any RPC level
error. That can happen, e.g., if the server sends a faulty RPC/TCP
record fragment header or some other garbage data.

I'm assuming that you've checked that the TCP parameters are set to sane
values for a 10GigE connection (i.e. tcp_timestamps is on) so that there
is no corruption happening at that level?

Cheers
  Trond
--
Trond Myklebust