RE: NFS4ERR_STALE_CLIENTID loop

Sure, but gone are the days when NFS had "reference implementations"
that everyone had to interoperate with. NFSv4 is a fully documented
protocol which describes how both clients and servers are supposed to
work. If either the client or server fail to work according to that
documentation, then bad things will happen.

While I could litter the client code with lots of little tricks to be
"defensive" in the face of buggy servers, that isn't going to solve
anything: the server will still be buggy, and the client will still be
faced with a situation that it cannot resolve.

> (In a similar vein, it can be just as frustrating trying to get a
client to stop
> looping like this - it is often impossible to kill the process that
triggered the
> problem; for these, we had to resort to deleting the files using NFSv3
(which
> was working quite happily))

'kill -9' should in principle work to kill off the process. Was that
failing to work?

Cheers
   Trond