nfs3 30% faster than nfs4?

Hi folks,

I did a brief test on a local nfs server: Extracting the
linux kernel sources on a nfs partition it seems that nfs3
is 30% faster than nfs4. For nfs3 I got 5.2MB/sec. Nfs4
gave me just 3.8MB/sec. The server was idle except for this
test.

Client and server were running 2.6.39 from the Debian backports
repository. I just changed the mount option on the client to
select nfs3 or nfs4.

I don't want to complain, but I did not expect this huge loss
in performance for moving to nfs4. Any helpful comment would be
highly appreciated.

Harri