Re: network-namespace-aware nfsd

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 04:29:51PM +0400, Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
> >> Also, do you think per-namespace version support is important?
> >>

> > Actually, yes, I do.
> > As I see it, nfsd filesystem have to virtualized to provide flexible control for
> > server features. If so, then we need to virtualize program as well.
>
> ACK - per namespace version control is required as well.
>
> AFAIK it's performed via sysctl-s and this part (sysctls engine I mean) is already
> namespaces aware, thus it will not be the hard part of the implementation :)

It's a special file in the nfsd filesystem.  But I assume that won't be
a big deal either.

By the way, I'm curious: as we do this virtualization step-by-step, is
there any way for userspace to tell how far we've gotten?

So for example if you have a system that's configured to use some new
namespace-based feature, and you boot it to an old kernel, is there some
way for it to check at the start and say "sorry, this isn't going to
work"?

--b.