Re: [nfsv4] back channel flags, CREATE_SESSION, BIND_CONN_TO_SESSION

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 19:21 -0400, Matt W. Benjamin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There seem to be legitimate reasons for an (NFSv4.1) client and/or server to prefer a dedicated callback channel.

That would be an assertion that is missing a lot of context and
explanation. Why should my client bother to support such a server?

> If a server wants this result, it seems from the language of 18.36.3 that it should indicate it by not setting CREATE_SESSION4_FLAG_CONN_BACK_CHAN in csr_flags in the CREATE_SESSION response, presuming the flag is set in the corresponding csa_flags argument (it's not allowed to set it otherwise).  The client may respond with BIND_CONN_TO_SESSION on a new channel, setting bctsa_dir to CDFC4_BACK.

Nope. The exact wording is:

         If CREATE_SESSION4_FLAG_CONN_BACK_CHAN is set in csa_flags, the
         client is requesting that the connection over which the
         CREATE_SESSION operation arrived be associated with the
         session's backchannel in addition to its fore channel.  If the
         server agrees, it sets CREATE_SESSION4_FLAG_CONN_BACK_CHAN in
         the result field csr_flags.  If
         CREATE_SESSION4_FLAG_CONN_BACK_CHAN is not set in csa_flags,
         then CREATE_SESSION4_FLAG_CONN_BACK_CHAN MUST NOT be set in
         csr_flags.

I see nothing there to indicate that the server is able to request a
dedicated backchannel. All it says is that the server may refuse a
backchannel on this particular connection.

> Currently, the Linux and I believe also the CITI Windows client always propose channels in both directions.  The Linux mainline Linux client doesn't know how to BIND_CONN_TO_SESSION, so trivially it won't negotiate any back channel if a server didn't agree to both directions today, either.  I've experimentally implemented a "fallback" model in a Linux client and (partly in a) Ganesha server.  I'd appreciate any feedback on the idea.

Yep. As I said, why should we bother adding support for servers that
don't? I can function perfectly well without pNFS support or delegation
support in such a case. Performance will suck, but why do I care?

Trond
--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer