Re: breaking leases on metadata changes

Hi Bruce,

> So there's this longstanding problem that read leases should really be
> broken on anything that changes an inode's metadata or any change to the
> set of links pointing to the inode.
>
> (Cc'ing samba-technical for confirmation of that statement from Samba's
> point of view....)
>
> So we need mutual exclusion between read leases and link, unlink,
> rename, etc.

As far as I know oplocks in SMB only care about content
and attribute only opens (without the READ/WRITE access bits) doesn't
break oplocks.

So changing the modification time of a file should not break the oplock.

I think link and rename doesn't break oplocks, while unlink would.

But Samba requirements may change for SMB 2.2 support with directory leases.
We're currently exploring what the details are.

metze