Re: regression when opening directories on NFSv4

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 15:30:12 -0400
Trond Myklebust <Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 15:10 -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:53:12 -0400
> > Trond Myklebust <Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > How about returning an error if we get to the file->f_ops->open on a
> > > regular file in NFSv4?
> > >

> > That would probably be reasonable. I'll see if I can come up with a
> > patch. The tricky part of course is ensuring that nothing regresses...
> >
> > I think this is probably safe for the most part. The d_revalidate
> > codepath has always allowed you to end up with an open context with
> > NULL state.
> >
> > Granted the buggy server case here is exceedingly rare, but it seems
> > like the code already assumes that a ctx reached via filp may have a
> > NULL state pointer.
>
> I agree that the buggy server is rare, but you can potentially reproduce
> the problem using something like the following script
>
> mkdir b; touch a; while true do mv a c; mv b a; mv c b; done
>
> It will probably mostly either succeed or fail with ENOENT, but every
> now and then it should be possible to tickle the above issue.

Ok, I sent you a patch that fixes the bug.

I ran the above on the server and a program in a loop that did opens on
the client, but was never able to reproduce the server-side bug. It
seemed to be OK in other testing though.
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>