Re: Please support NSF squashing multiple groups

Dear all,

I wrote about some security issues with NFS, about protecting against
privileged UIDs and GIDs, like root_squash protects against root.

Your advice was to use NFSv4 with kerberos authentication. I now
succeeded in setting that up on a test system; though not as simple as
should be, it seems to work as expected. The changes required for use
are non-trivial, so I will not immediately be able to use it.

Seems that the mountd option --manage-gids handles the secondary groups
only. I still do not quite understand why mountd (with that or another
option) cannot handle the primary GID also, setting it to the GID
corresponding to the UID on the server; and maybe even "squash" any UIDs
in a table similar to idmap, or simply squash UIDs less than UID_MIN
(squash directly, without any kernel interaction). Could you please tell
me whether those are conceptually possible?

Thanks, Paul

Paul Szabo   psz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics   University of Sydney    Australia