Re: Regression seen when HIGHMEM enabled with NFS on 3.1rc4 kernel

On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 18:40 +0530, R, Sricharan wrote:
> Sorry resending again. My mailer settings thrashed my earlier email.
>
> Hi,
>   A kernel crash is observed on 3.1rc4 kernel when HIGHMEM is enabled and
>   kernel is booted with a NFS on omap4430sdp. The issue happens in the below
>   scenario.
>
>        In file net/sunrpc/xprtsock.c,
>          static int xs_send_pagedata( xxx, struct xdr_buf *xdr, ..)
>          {
>                 Struct page **ppage;
>                 ppage = xdr->pages + (base >> PAGE_SHIFT);
>             err = sock->ops->sendpage(sock, *ppage, base, len, flags);

>          }
>
>          1) In the above piece of code, the *ppage value from ops->sendpage
>             function is finally passed on to Kmap by the lower level code to
>             get the virtual address of the page.
>          2) In some corner cases the value of *ppage pointer is NULL.
>          3) When highmem is enabled and a NULL pointer is passed to
>             Kmap, then kmap finally crashes. But in the case when highmem
>             is disabled, then kmap returns a junk value for NULL pointer.
>
>             Highmem Enabled , kmap( NULL )-----> kernel crashes.
>
>            Highmem disabled, kmap( NULL )-----> junk value is returned.
>                Subsequently this message is observed on
>                                                 the console.
>
>                                 "RPC call returned error 14"
>
>          4) Now the question is why is the value of *ppage = NULL is passed
>             from the above piece of code to lower layers.
>            Should that not have handled *ppage = NULL? and kmap should not
>             have received a NULL pointer?

I wouldn't expect *ppage to be NULL under any circumstances, so I'm
really curious as to what is happening here.

Could you perhaps add a printk() to that section of code to print out
the values of 'xdr->page_base', 'xdr->page_len', 'len' and 'remainder'
in the case where *ppage == NULL?

Cheers
  Trond

--