Re: Please support NSF squashing multiple groups

Dear Neil,

> If you are using kerberos authentication then you should be able
> to trust that any remote user really is who they say they are ...

Does that "work" also against the "evil remote root" e.g. when the
remote machine is compromised?

> If you are using NFSv4 and kerberos than there already exist
> interfaces to do what you want. See "man idmap.conf". ...

Sorry I do not use NFSv4 or kerberos, yet. Could you please point me
to references about idmap.conf, the ones I found suggest it only takes
[Mapping] settings for Nobody-User and Nobody-Group.

I agree with you that root_squash as currently implemented is rather
limited and useless, but am hoping that it can be improved.

Thanks for your help, Paul

Paul Szabo   psz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics   University of Sydney    Australia