Re: using non contiguous memory in nfs_idmap_new()

On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 14:54 +0100, Adrien Kunysz wrote:
> Dear linux-nfs,
>
> I have a box that has recently been victim of an OOM caused by
> nfs_idmap_new() attempting to allocate a large amount of contiguous
> memory. This problem has been reported previously here [0] and I
> understand the real fix is to use CONFIG_NFS_USE_NEW_IDMAPPER. However
> I was wondering whether using non contiguous memory instead would be a
> valid workaround, especially considering the new ID mapper is not
> enabled by default. I have actually written a patch to that effect as
> I don't see any specific reason why that struct would need to be in
> contiguous memory.
>
> So before I do anything stupid with that patch,
> a) is there any good reason to use kzalloc() instead of vzalloc() in
> nfs_idmap_new()?

vmalloc memory is a limited resource too.

> b) would you consider a patch that would make the function use vzalloc()?

Is there any reason why you can't use the new idmapper now that it has
been integrated into the upstream nfs-utils? There are so many
scalability issues with the old idmapper that I'd rather deprecate its
use as quickly as possible.

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer