NFS latency tuning

Hello all,
I was wondering whether the NFS client implementation has any support for latency-based tcp-like 'windows'. Basically my problem is: due to high request rate the server is swamped and response time is unbearable. If clients can be delayed from sending requests by introducing a 'waiting period' before every read/write request that might make things better. Does NFS currently have such an implementation? (I could not find it in a quick scan of the code.) Is there even a need for what i have described above - are there other mechanisms present which allow for flow-control .

Thanks!
--
Prateek