Re: [[RFC] 1/1] SUNRPC: dynamic rpc_slot allocator for TCP

On May 4, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Jeff Layton wrote:

> On Mon,  2 May 2011 21:40:08 -0400
> andros@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> +	if (!test_and_clear_bit(XPRT_WRITE_SPACE, &xprt->state))
>> +		return;
>
> Also, I'm not sure that a single bit really conveys enough information
> for this.
>
> IIUC, sk_write_space gets called when a packet is TCP ACK'ed. It seems
> possible that we would sometimes have buffer space available to queue
> the packet without sk_write_space being called. With this, we'll
> basically be serializing all dynamic slot allocations behind the
> sk_write_space callbacks.

Which I thought was OK given that the TCP window takes a while to stabilize.

> Consider the case of many small TCP frames being sent after a large one
> just got ACK'ed. Only one would be allowed to be sent, even though
> there might be enough send buffer space to allow for more.
>
> Would it instead make more sense to base this on the amount of space
> available in the actual socket rather than this bit?

So at each write_space, potentially allocate more than one rpc_slot as opposed
to allocating one rpc_slot and waiting for the next write_space? I could look at this
with the 10G testiing.

-->Andy