(k)ubuntu NFS buy

Hi,

I'm having a problem with NFS using Linux Kubuntu 10.10. I have logged my problem at the Kubuntu 10.10 forum and thus far I have had no response. Since Kubuntu/Debian package NFS with their release, it does not surprise me that I have had no response as yet.

I was thinking and realised that I probably need help from the developers. My problem seems like it is due to a bug in NFS, although it could easily be something wrong with my environment or the packaging. I did see some similar problems on the net with Red Hat.

Anyway, below is my write up from the Kubuntu forum.

Can you tell my problem is a known bug with NFS?

Jim Anderson

From Kubutu Form - April 29, 2010.
I'm running a home network and I used NFS to share files between the Linux PCs. Everything was working fine until 2 days ago, when I started getting error messages that I could not store files on remote servers. I tried rebooting and mounting a file system from the server and I got the following message:

mount.nfs: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not supported

The client is running Kubuntu 10.10 with NFS 1:1.2.2-1Ubuntue1.1. The server is running NFS 1:1.2.0-2. The older version is not that old and I was surprised at the apparent incompatibility that suddenly appeared. Rather that try to figure out what was in compatible, I decided to upgrade the server to Kubuntu 10.10 so that the NFS versions are identical. After installing NFS on the server, I am still getting the same error message.

I did a search on the error message and I found the following Ubuntu bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nfs-utils/+bug/656889 According to this bug report, This is a bug and it is not fixed in 10.10 final release.

Do I move onto Kubuntu 11.04 or back to Kubuntu 10.04?

Jim Anderson
ezjab@xxxxxxxx
(908)329-0586