Re: Prioritizing readdirplus/getattr/lookup

--- On Thu, 4/7/11, Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2011, at 10:34 AM, Andrew Klaassen wrote:
>
> > --- On Thu, 4/7/11, Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >> Have you created enough nfsd threads on your Linux NFS
> >> servers?
> >
> > That was one of the things I varied as part of my
> > testing; almost every power of 2 from 8 threads up to 1024
> > threads.  It actually made things slightly worse, not
> > better, but I can certainly give it a try again.
>
> Is the server an SMP system?

Yes.

> Do you see high CPU load during times of slow performance?

I've found two cases when throughput is high and "ls -l" is slow:

 - disk-bound, when I'm (purposely) pumping through more data than can be held in the cache.  In this case, CPU idle time generally remains between 30-60%.

 - fully-cached read-only, when... well, it looks like I'll have to get back to you on this one, since ext4lazyinit has to finish its thing before I can reproduce this case.

I do notice that ksoftirqd is eating up 100% of a core when I'm loading the server heavily.  I assume that's because I'm not using jumbo frames and the ethernet cards are spitting out interrupts as fast as they're able.

Unfortunately, upgrading the hardware - either disks or CPU - is not an option.  This is why I was hoping there was some way to send readdirplus/getattr/lookup calls to the front of the queue on the server side even when the hardware has reached its limits.

Andrew