Re: Prioritizing readdirplus/getattr/lookup

On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 12:52 -0700, Benny Halevy wrote:
> On 2011-04-05 12:48, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> >> Right now the pNFS server does not have to recall the layout on GETATTR
> >> so lazy would be the default behavior for most implementations. Even if
> >> a client holds a delegation the server could send a CB_GETATTR to it to
> >> get the latest attributes without recalling the layout.  At any rate,
> >> the broader issue is that the posix system call API assumes a local file
> >> system and is not network not cluster file-system aware.
> >
> > Recalling the outstanding layouts in a directory on every 'ls -l' sounds
> > like the perfect recipe for poor performance. I can't see why any
> > servers would want to do this.
> >
> > In any case, a layout recall does not trigger client writeback: layouts
> > do not define a caching protocol.
>
> Yet for already written (DATA_SYNC) data, a layout recall should trigger
> a LAYOUTCOMMIT and that will update the visible attrs.

Sure, but if the client still has the file open and has not flushed its
writes, then you are proposing a very expensive way to update attributes
that may bear no relevance to the true state of the file.

pNFS will suck _badly_ if you start recalling layouts willy nilly.
--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer

NetApp