Re: [RFC] spnfs-block: restore i_op->fallocate

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 05:54:20PM +0200, Benny Halevy wrote:
> spnfsd-blocks needs the old inode_operations API for fallocate
> as it does not have a struct_file in hand.
>
> As all file systems (but xfs) currently use the struct file argument
> to get to the inode move their implementation back into a inode operation.
> Introduce generic_file_fallocate that can be used as the file_operations
> method that just does that and calls i_op->fallocate.
>
> Refactor the xfs implementation and introduce _xfs_vn_fallocate
> that takes an addition attr_flags, which value depends on the struct file
> argument to xfs_file_fallocate.

NAK.  Not only isn't spnfsd-block not upstream, but I probably never will be
given what a piece of junk it is.

Second making fallocate a file operation was done on purpose, and all the
other filesystem need the same fix that xfs has - making the allocation
stable if done on an O_SYNC file descriptor.