Re: questions about blocklayoutdriver.ko

Hi

I am able to mount MDS or DS over nfsv3, nfsv4, and nfsv4.1 without pnfs.

You said the SN means server name(or ip address) in the last letter. But I don't konw whether it means a MDS's name or it means a DS's name.
Can you tell me what it is?

We set up the pNFS environment as follows:
DS:10.27.140.40
MDS:10.27.140.35
Client:10.27.140.38

On DS: 1. the disk was partitioned with "parted",and produced sda6 for client.
       2. added line in /etc/exports as follows
          /pnfs  *(rw,sync,fsid=0,insecure,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash,pnfs)
       3. used the following script to start the DS server

           #/bin/bash
           umount /pnfs
           service tgtd restart
           sleep 8
           tgtadm --lld iscsi --op new --mode target --tid 1 -T iqn.1992-05.com.emc:openblock
           tgtadm --lld iscsi --mode logicalunit --op new --tid 1 --lun 1 --backing-store /dev/sda6
           tgtadm --lld iscsi --mode target --op bind --tid 1 --initiator-address ALL
           tgtadm --lld iscsi --op show --mode target
           mount /dev/sda6 /pnfs
           sleep 3
           service nfs restart
           sleep 3
           cd <CTL_SRC>/ctl/
           ./ctl -u &
On MDS: 1. added line in /etc/exports
           / *(rw,fsid=0,insecure,no_root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check,pnfs)
        2. created the folder
           mkdir /spnfs/10.27.140.40
        3. mount 10.27.140.40:/pnfs /spnfs/10.27.140.40
        4. run spnfsd and the content of /etc/spnfs.conf as follows

           [General]
           Verbosity = 1
           Stripe-size = 8192
           Dense-striping = 0
           Pipefs-Directory = /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs
           DS-Mount-Directory = /spnfs

           [DataServers]
           NumDS = 1
           DS1_IP = 10.27.140.40
           DS1_PORT = 2049
           DS1_ROOT = /pnfs
           DS1_ID = 1

On client: 1.  connectted to iscsi targets
               iscsiadm -m discovery -t sendtargets -p 10.27.140.40 -l
           2.  start the block layout service
               initd.redhat restart
           3.  mounted the MDS server
        mount -t nfs4 -o minorversion=1 10.27.140.35:/spnfs  /mnt

We tested the pNFS informance in the environment,and found that when client write data to /mnt,all of the data be sent to MDS firstly, and then MDS forwarded the data to DS,when we got the package by wireshark,and found most of the protocol between MDS and DS are NFS and TCP.

I don't konw why the data be sent to MDS firstly, I think it should be sent to DS from client dircetly with iSCSI protocol.
Can you point where is the error?

Thanks.
Songlin BAI.

>From: Benny Halevy <bhalevy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: 白松林<09120171@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: questions about blocklayoutdriver.ko
>Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 23:12:04 -0800
>
>On 2011-03-09 08:13, 白松林 wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> According to your advice,i refered the page(http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/PNFS_Block_Server_Setup_Instructions), and set up the test environment,but failed. I don't konw what to do in metadata server,and what should be done in data server. can you help me ?
>> In this webpage,there is one sentence,
>> mount -t nfs4 -o minorversion=1 SN:/ /mnt/ob
>> In this sentence,can you tell me what is SN means?
>
>This is the server name (or ip address)
>Are you able to mount it over nfsv3, nfsv4, and nfsv4.1 without pnfs?
>

>> Anther question,there is one way about Fedroa pNFS client setup in the webpage(http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/Fedora_pNFS_Client_Setup),can you provide me for one way about pNFS client setup in redhat.
>
>It should be the same as the one you build from the linux-pnfs tree.
>I'm Cc'ing Steve Dickson who generates this packages, just in case.
>
>> In this webpage,there is one sentence,
>> mount -t nfs4 -o minorversion=1
:/export  /mnt