Re: STMMAC driver: NFS Problem on 2.6.37

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 05:26:16AM +0800, Chuck Lever wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2011, at 3:58 PM, Brian Downing wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 03:12:22PM -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
> >> Based on your console logs, I see that the working case uses UDP to
> >> contact the server's mountd, but the failing case uses TCP.  You can
> >> try explicitly specifying "proto=udp" to force the use of UDP, to test
> >> this theory.
> >
> > This does indeed make it work again for me, thanks!
> >
> >> Meanwhile, the patch description explicitly states that the default
> >> mount option settings have changed.  Does it make sense to change the
> >> default behavior of NFSROOT mounts to use UDP again?  I don't see
> >> another way to make this process more reliable across NIC
> >> initialization.  If this is considered a regression, we can make a
> >> patch for 2.6.38-rc and 2.6.37.
> >
> > I only use nfsroot for development, so I don't have a terribly strong
> > opinion.  I would point out though that the default u-boot parameters
> > for nfsrooting a lot of boards will no longer work at this point, so if
> > it's not patched to work again without specifying nfs options I think
> > there should at least be a note in the documentation and possibly a
> > "maybe try proto=udp?" console message on failure.
> >
> > I assume it's not feasable to either wait until the chosen interface's
> > link is ready before trying to mount nfsroot, or retrying TCP-based
> > connections a little bit more aggressively/at all?
>
> Our goal is to use the same mount logic for both normal user
> space mounts and for NFSROOT (that was the purpose of the patch
> series this particular patch comes from).  It's
> exceptionally difficult to add a special case for retrying TCP
> connections here, as that would change the behavior of user
> space mounts, which often want to fail quickly, and don't need
> to worry about NIC initialization.
>
> Sounds like the right thing to do is restore the default UDP behavior.  I'll cook up a patch.

Is there some patch available for this now.

There is one more observation (on 2.6.37), when I pass
nfsroot=$(ip):$(rootpath),udp , then it works fine.
If I pass proto=udp then it doesn't work. Is there any difference
between the two methods ?

--
regards
Shiraz