Re: persistent, quasi-random -ESTALE at mount time

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 11:28:14PM -0500, George Spelvin wrote:
> > So the reboot was for an upgrade from 2.6.26-rcX to 2.6.38-rc3?  I
> > wonder if a reboot (or just a server restart) without changing kernels
> > would see the same problem?
>
> Whoops, typo.  It was from 2.6.36-rcX (I think -rc5, but it's scrolled
> off the logs), not .26.
>
> > We work quite hard to ensure that filehandles returned from older nfsd's
> > will still be accepted by newer ones.  But that doesn't mean there
> > couldn't failed at that somehow in some case....
>
> I understand that sometimes there's an incompatible server change, but

Separate from the current problem, but: no, that shouldn't be true.  If
you find a case where a kernel upgrade causes clients to fail, that's a
bug and we'd like to know about it.

> I don't ever remember a Linux-linux nfs mount surviving a server
> reboot.

Ouch.  I do test that regularly, and haven't seen problems.  Again, if
you have reproduceable problem, I'd appreciate details.--b.