RE: 4.1 no-pnfs mount option?

By the same logic, why should a user be allowed to select which version of NFS they use for mounting when the server has a perfectly reasonable way of negotiating it?  Getting to choose v2 vs. v3 vs. v4 seems like much less of a distinction than choosing between pNFS and no pNFS.  Frankly, it never even occurred to me that there wouldn't be a mount option to make this choice.  Enabling/disabling the layout driver doesn't fit the existing model of choosing mount behavior, and is a big hammer--it's all or nothing.

Anyway, here's a use case: I'm working at an HPC/gas+oil/satellite data site.  We have an awesome pNFS server for our big data and I want to access my big data with pNFS.  We have another server for homedirs, some big data, and other stuff.  Some mounts are fine with pNFS, others are abysmal.  So, I want to mount some directories with pNFS, and some without pNFS, on the same client, independent of the server configuration.