Re: 4.1 no-pnfs mount option?

Hi,

----- "Trond Myklebust" <Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Why would an administrator never want to do this?" is not a helpful
> question.
>
> A more useful question is "what reason would you possibly have for
> overriding the server's request that you do pNFS when your client has
> pNFS support?" What makes pNFS so special that we must allow
> administrators to do this on a per-mount basis?

Well, I phrased my question the other way because I suspect such cases will be found, but I may not have found all of them.

Some thoughts on why I might wish to take a hand in the decision:

1. the client doing pnfs might behave badly due to a misconfiguration or outage, yet behave acceptably using ordinary nfsv4?
2. restricting the client to ordinary nfsv4 might be desirable for non-developer troubleshooting or other configuration work?

I apologize if neither is compelling.

> Throwing more and more knobs into the kernel is easy. The difficult
> bit
> is to figure out which are useful knobs, and that is why I want real
> use
> cases...
>
> Trond

Matt