From: linux-nfs-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-nfs-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chuck Lever
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 10:18 AM
To: hce
Subject: Re: mac error

On Jan 13, 2011, at 11:01 PM, hce wrote:

> Thanks for your response. I've just found that nlockmgr did not
> respond when I run following command on the server. Is it a problem or
> it is normal? Anyway, the NFS is still working fine.

nlockmgr and NFS are two separate RPC services.  So, NFS can work while
there might be a problem with nlockmgr.  IMO, nlockmgr should respond in
this case.

> $ rpcinfo -t linux_server nlockmgr
> rpcinfo: RPC: Timed out
> program 100021 version 0 is not available
>
> $ rpcinfo -u linux_server nlockmgr
> rpcinfo: RPC: Timed out
> program 100021 version 0 is not available

This is attempting to contact nlockmgr's "version 0" which is not
registered (see below).  Versions 1, 3, and 4 are registered.

Try "rpcinfo -u linux_server nlockmgr 3".

> $ rpcinfo -p
>   program vers proto   port
>    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
>    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
>    100024    1   udp    895  status
>    100024    1   tcp    898  status
>    100011    1   udp    806  rquotad
>    100011    2   udp    806  rquotad
>    100011    1   tcp    809  rquotad
>    100011    2   tcp    809  rquotad
>    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
>    100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
>    100003    4   udp   2049  nfs
>    100021    1   udp  32794  nlockmgr
>    100021    3   udp  32794  nlockmgr
>    100021    4   udp  32794  nlockmgr
>    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
>    100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
>    100003    4   tcp   2049  nfs
>    100021    1   tcp  57164  nlockmgr
>    100021    3   tcp  57164  nlockmgr
>    100021    4   tcp  57164  nlockmgr
>    100005    1   udp    828  mountd
>    100005    1   tcp    831  mountd
>    100005    2   udp    828  mountd
>    100005    2   tcp    831  mountd
>    100005    3   udp    828  mountd
>    100005    3   tcp    831  mountd

nlockmgr is registered, so it must have been started at some point.
It's a kernel service, so there's no daemon to die.  Do you have some
kind of firewall in place that would prevent contacting the NLM service?
Does "linux_server" resolve to the IP address you expect it to?

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com