Re: NFSv4 behaviour on unknown users

On 11/30/2010 01:02 AM, Spencer Shepler wrote:
It would not be backwards compatible: the linux server will currently
reject any uid/gid usage by the client.

That said, I can imagine that for 'sec=sys', we might be able to change
the client to use the uid/gid format by default, and then change back to
doing name@domain upon receiving the first NFS4ERR_BADOWNER error from the
server.
It the server changes to match this, then that might suffice solve the
current problem that we have with doing nfsroot on NFSv4...
IMO: I wouldn't worry about the mixed scenarios to start with.
Provide the option on the client and server to use the straight-up
uid/gid to string mappings and this will satisfy these simple
deployments that are or will have trouble.

+1 for this. Changing mapping on the fly at the first NFS4ERR_BADOWNER received does not look very reliable to me: is scarcely controllable by the sysadmin and is gonna make the thing a headache to debug the first time it happens unwillingly (maybe the sysadmin was changing some config on the server and suddenly the everything stops working and he needs to restart the nfs client to restore things but this is scarcely intuitive...). +1 for simply providing a clear-upfront option for using numeric UIDs/GIDs.

Thanks for your understanding :-)