Re: NFSv4 behaviour on unknown users

On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 14:01 -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 07:38:30PM +0100, Spelic wrote:
> > On 11/29/2010 07:22 PM, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > >On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 19:12 +0100, Spelic wrote:
> > >No. That is not allowed by the spec.
> > >
> > >Trond
> >
> > Too bad!! :-((
> > Was that spec decision really wise? :-/
> >

> > BTW:
> > I've just noticed two discussions dated a few months ago in this ML
> > regarding this.
> > the thread named 'numeric UIDs'
>
> There's also a reference to the spec language there--we'd be violating a
> "SHOULD", but I think it would be acceptable if it smooths the v3->v4
> upgrade path for users in your situation.
>
> I think steved's changes still need to be ported to libnfsidmap?

I don't see how steved's changes will fix this problem. If the client
has a mapping, it will (MUST) send the mapped uid/gid and the server
still has to make sense of that. Ditto if the server has a mapping, and
the client does not.

steved's patches only help if neither the client nor the server can map
the uid/gids to a name@domain format.

Trond

> --b.
>
> > and more interestingly the thread: "Teach clients to map numeric
> > strings into valid uids and gids."
> > http://marc.info/?t=128207393000001&r=1&w=2
> >
> > Would the patch by Steve Dickson allow us to have numeric UID
> > mapping like in NFSv3?
> > (Including ability for a non-squashed-root to do chown towards an
> > UID which is unknown at server side)
> >
> > And if yes, how come this is not against the specs?
> >
> > Thank you
> > --

Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer