Re: NFS client/sunrpc getting stuck on 2.6.36

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 06:17:25PM -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 14:58 -0800, Simon Kirby wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 05:17:19PM -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > > So what were all the
> > >
> > > 'lockd: server 10.10.52.xxx not responding, still trying'
> > >
> > > messages all about? There were quite a few of them for a number of
> > > different servers in the moments leading up to the hang. Could it be a
> > > problem with the switch these clients are attached to?
> >
> > If it were a switch problem, would we see port 2049 socket backlogs with
> > netstat -tan or ss -tan?  I haven't seen this at all when the problem
> > occurs.  All of the sockets are idle (and usually it seems to close them
> > all except the one server that all of the slots are stuck on).  tcpdump
> > shows no problems, just very slow requests rates that match the rpc/nfs
> > debugging.
>
> No retransmits that might indicate dropped packets at the switch? How
> fast are the tcp ACKs from the server being returned?

That tcpdump I sent included the ACKs, which all looked normal.
Unfortunately, we haven't seen the problem again yet.  Is your "Fix an
infinite loop in call_refresh/call_refreshresult" patch possibly related?

> > If the rpc slots are stuck full, would that cause lockd to print those
> > timeouts?
>
> Yes. That would be the only kind of event that would trigger these
> messages.

and in this case, rpcinto -t and -u should look normal, I would assume,
unless there is a switch/network issue?

Still waiting for it to occur again to try those commands.

Simon-