Re: no_root_squash (and valid KRB root-ticket)

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Valentijn Sessink <valentyn@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Kevin,

>>> As far as I can see, that would mean that anyone
>>> with root rights on the client (thus being able to read the machine
>>> keys) would have root rights on the server share, wouldn't it?
>> Isn't that the equivalent of no_root_squash?  (root on the client ==
>> root on the server)
>
> It used to be, when local UID = server UID was the fine way of
> authenticating - but with KRB authentication, the idea is that you
> authenticate to the server.
>
> To summarize: when your UID=0 on the client, you cannot be root at the
> server, because UID=0 is handled differently by gssd.

Actually, in the case of UID=0, the client's machine credentials are
used.  You can map that Kerberos principal to root on the server.  So
this _is_ possible.

> If you have any
> other UID, you can map this to UID=0 on the server - either by using
> "kinit root" at the client, or by setting up a specific mapping for
> libnfsidmap.

Creating a "root" Kerberos principal is discouraged.  (You might,
however, have a "root/<fqdn>" principal -- that you could use for
machine credentials.)

K.C.