Re: Streaming perf problem on 10g

On 11/03/2010 01:58 PM, Shehjar Tikoo wrote:
Hi All,

I am running into a performance problem with 2.6.32-23 Ubuntu lucid on both client and server.

The disk is an SSD performing at 1.4 - 1.6Gbps for a dd of a 6gb file in 64k blocks.

If the size of this file is comparable to or smaller than the client or server ram, this number is meaningless.

The network is performing fine with many Gbps of iperf throughput.

GbE gets you 1 Gbps. 10GbE may get you from 3-10 Gbps, depending upon many things. What are your numbers?

Yet, the dd write performance over the nfs mount point ranges from 96-105 Mbps for a 6gb file in 64k blocks.

Sounds like you are writing over the gigabit, and not the 10GbE interface.

I've tried changing the tcp_slot_table_entries and the wsize but there is negligible gain from these.

Does it sound like a client side inefficiency?

Nope.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO