NFSv4 and portmap

Everything i keep reading tells me that NFS4 does not need portmap but
for some reason on the NFS server ( CentOS 5.x ) i cannot get the nfs
services started unless portmap is running first.

On the server i modified /etc/sysconfig/nfs with the following options
MOUNTD_NFS_V1="no"
MOUNTD_NFS_V2="no"
RPCNFSDARGS="-N 2 -N 3 -U"

For some reason if i uncomment MOUNTD_NFS_v3="no" i get errors.

On the client, again a CentOS 5.x machine but with a newer custom built
kernel, If i do not start portmap then when i run mount it takes about 2
minutes for the filesystem to mount and i see the following messages in
/var/log/messages

Oct 26 10:25:30 host kernel: rpcbind: server localhost not responding,
timed out

If i start portmap, the mount command completed in a few seconds.

My goal here to is run/support NFSv4 Only.

~ShaunR