Re: NFSv4 mounts take longer the fail from ENETUNREACH than NFSv3 mounts.

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:16:57 -0400
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > > If I don't have any network configured (except loop-back), and try an NFSv3
> > > mount, then it fails quickly:

> > > mount.nfs: portmap query failed: RPC: Remote system error - Network is unreachable
> > > mount.nfs: Network is unreachable
> > >

> > > If I try the same thing with a NFSv4 mount, it times out before it fails,
> > > making a much longer delay.
> > >
> > > This is because mount.nfs doesn't do a portmap lookup but just leaves
> > > everything to the kernel.
> > > The kernel does an 'rpc_ping()' which sets RPC_TASK_SOFTCONN.
> > > So at least it doesn't retry after the timeout.  But given that we have a
> > > clear error, we shouldn't timeout at all.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately I cannot see an easy way to fix this.
> > >
> > > The place where ENETUNREACH is in xs_tcp_setup_socket.  The comment there
> > > says "Retry with the same socket after a delay".  The "delay" bit is correct,
> > > the "retry" isn't.
> > >
> > > It would seem that we should just add a 'goto out' there if RPC_TASK_SOFTCONN
> > > was set.  However we cannot see the task at this point - in fact it seems
> > > that there could be a queue of tasks waiting on this connection.  I guess
> > > some could be soft, and some not. ???
> > >
> > > So: An suggestions how to get a ENETUNREACH (or ECONNREFUSED or similar) to
> > > fail immediately when  RPC_TASK_SOFTCONN is set ???
> > >

> > > This affects people who upgrade from openSUSE11.2 (which didn't support v4
> > > mounts) to openSUSE11.3 (which defaults to v4) and who use network-manager
> > > (which configures networks late) and have NFS mounts in /etc/fstab with
> > > either explicit IP addresses or host names that can be resolved without the
> > > network.
> > > This config will work because when the network comes up, network-manager will
> > > re-run the 'init.d/nfs' script.  However since 11.3 there is an unpleasant
> > > pause before boot completes.
> > >

> > Took me a few tries to get an ENETUNREACH error but I see the same hang
> > you do. For the record I was able to get one by not configuring an IPv6
> > addr on the box and attempting to mount an IPv6 address.
> >
> > Interestingly while I was trying to reproduce it, I ended up
> > reproducing an EHOSTUNREACH error by trying to mount a IPv6 host to
> > which I didn't have a route. That error returns quickly from the
> > kernel. Maybe we can solve this simply by treating ENETUNREACH the same
> > as EHOSTUNREACH in this situation?
> >
> > I'm not quite sure exactly how to make that happen, but it seems like
> > reasonable behavior.
> >

> Sigh, nothing's ever easy in the RPC layer. Please bear with my
> scatterbrained analysis...
>
> There's a bit of difference at the socket layer between those two cases.
> xs_tcp_finish_connecting calls this to connect the socket:
>
>     kernel_connect(sock, xs_addr(xprt), xprt->addrlen, O_NONBLOCK);
>
> ...in the ENETUNREACH case, this returns immediately with the error. In
> EHOSTUNREACH case, it returns EINPROGRESS and then the sk_error_report
> handles the rest. Fine...we can emulate the similar behavior, but...

That all seems to make sense and helps complete the picture, however ...

> Then what happens is that xs_tcp_send_request gets called again to try
> to resend the packet. In the EHOSTUNREACH case, that returns
> EHOSTUNREACH which eventually causes an rpc_exit with that error. In
> the ENETUNREACH case that returns EPIPE, which makes the state machine
> move next to call_bind and the whole thing starts over again.

This confuses me.  Why would  xs_tcp_send_request (aka ->send_request) get
called before the connect has succeeded?  Can you make sense of that?

Thanks,
NeilBrown