Re: nfsd4_stateowners problem

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 02:40:44PM -0400, Peter Skensved wrote:
>  Thanks for the reply.  The current RedHat EL5 kernels are all based on 2.6.18 with
> a lot of backported fixes so I'm not sure what version of the NFS code I'm effectively
> running.
>
>  Do you know what the state_owners are used for ? What puzzles me is that in our case

They represent some notion of "who" is performing an open, or performing
a lock.

> we have a large number of workstations which NFS mounts some fairly large, mostly static
> common directories and automounts HOME directories. So I would expect the amount of state
> info that needs to be kept would be fairly constant. When the automounter unmounts the
> info ought to go away . Yet the number of stateowners for the most part just keep on
> growing.
>
>  The only work around at the moment is to reboot before it has eaten up around 500 Mb
> of slabs

Is someone doing a lot of file locking?

I can't remember the logic the server uses to decide when to throw away
a lockowner, but it may just be inadequate.

The client has also had some fixes recently to be better about telling
the server when to throw them away.

--b.