Re: 30 time speed difference between using NFS and without using NFS

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 04:39:54PM -0500, Peng Yu wrote:
> Please see below for the answers of you questions.
>
> $ find . -type d|wc
>    1491    1491   53372
>
> Search the directory as a local directory
>
> $ time find . -name 'data.frame' -type d
> ./library/base/data.frame
> ./library/base/data.frame/data.frame
>
> real	0m0.044s
> user	0m0.012s
> sys	0m0.028s
>
> Search the directory as a NFS directory. The same command runs three 3
> times in series.
>
> $ time find . -name 'data.frame' -type d
> ./library/base/data.frame
> ./library/base/data.frame/data.frame
>
> real	0m2.205s
> user	0m0.040s
> sys	0m0.430s
> $ time find . -name 'data.frame' -type d
> ./library/base/data.frame
> ./library/base/data.frame/data.frame
>
> real	0m1.203s
> user	0m0.060s
> sys	0m0.120s
> $ time find . -name 'data.frame' -type d
> ./library/base/data.frame
> ./library/base/data.frame/data.frame
>
> real	0m1.227s
> user	0m0.040s
> sys	0m0.200s
>
> Ping the NFS server gives me ttl=64 time=0.156 ms.

So if readding each of those directories required only a single round
trip, and if network round trip time were the dominating factor, the
whole thing would only take a second.  So there may be more rpc's (is
find also stat'ing every directory entry?), and/or you may be
bottlenecked by somethign else (e.g. seek time on the server).

You might try using /proc/self/mounstats on the client to figure out
what rpc's are sent during the find and the average time they take.

--b.