Re: mount.nfs: protocol fallback when server doesn't support TCP

On Aug 26, 2010, at 11:27 AM, Jim Rees wrote:

> Chuck Lever wrote:
>
>  On Aug 25, 2010, at 10:06 PM, Neil Brown wrote:
>> Maybe the ideal would be to do a portmap probe and only fall back to v3 if
>> portmap confirm that v3 is supported and v4 isn't.
>
>  What are the risks of checking portmap in this case?  That seems like it
>  would give a better chance of a desirable outcome.
>
> In general, portmap can't confirm that v4 isn't available, only that v3 is.
> Right?

Registering an NFSv4 service with the local rpcbind is a SHOULD at best, true.  But, if no version-specific mount options are specified, I think establishing any kind of connection is better than failing.

--
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com