Re: 64bit inodes and IA32 apps over NFS

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 16:47 +0200, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there any workaround for NFSv4 when exporting XFS with 64bit inodes?
>
> IA32 apps receives:
> getdents(3, 0xb7571008, 1000)           = -1 EOVERFLOW (Value too large for defined data type)
>
> when compiling on x86_64, I got not error.
>
> From the XFS man page:
> By default, with 32bit inodes, XFS places inodes only in the first 1TB of
> a disk. If you have a disk with 100TB, all inodes will be stuck in the first
> TB. This can lead to strange things like "disk full" when you still have
> plenty space free, but there's no more place in the first TB to create a new
> inode. Also, performance sucks.
>
> To come around this, use the inode64 mount options for filesystems >1TB.
> Inodes will then be placed in the location where their data is, minimizing
> disk seeks.
>
> Beware that some old programs might have problems reading 64bit inodes,
> especially over NFS.
>

> So, is there any workaround in NFS for IA32 apps?

[trondmy@heimdal linux_nfs-2.6]$ less Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

        nfs.enable_ino64=
                        [NFS] enable 64-bit inode numbers.
                        If zero, the NFS client will fake up a 32-bit inode
                        number for the readdir() and stat() syscalls instead
                        of returning the full 64-bit number.
                        The default is to return 64-bit inode numbers.

Trond