Re: Proposal: Use hi-res clock for file timestamps

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM, john stultz <johnstul@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So other then "show some numbers", my only thought that might make the
> patch more attractive is that rather than a global change, or a static
> CONFIG_ option, would it maybe make more sense as a mount option?

I really like this idea.

Consider the following "revision 2" of my proposal:

1) Add a function pointer "current_fs_time" to struct super_block.

2) Replace all calls of the form:

    current_fs_time(sb);

with

  sb->current_fs_time(sb);

 3) Arrange for the default value to point to the current implementation.

These first three could be one patch.  They change no functionality;
they just enable the next step.

Finally:

  4) Add a mount option to cause sb->current_fs_time(sb) to use the
hi-res implementation.

Comments?

 - Pat