Re: Linux pNFS status meeting 08/12

On Aug. 12, 2010, 18:42 +0300, Andy Adamson <andros@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2010, at 11:25 AM, Benny Halevy wrote:

>>> ditto...
>>
>> Given the low attendance rate, shall we just skip the call this week?
>
> Here is what I've been up to.
>

> Following Fred's most excellent suggestion (at last Thursday's hackers pub meeting), I created a single patch (which I called 'the whole enchilada'!) containing all of the pnfs-submit branch changes, and then proceeded to slice/dice it into logical consumable patches for submission to Trond. This beats the heck out of trying to squash 281 patches together just to re-order all the functionality.
>
> I've attached the battle plan which I'm mostly following, and which although has some detail, is not intended to be a complete list of functions etc. I update the battle plan as I go.

That looks great! Thanks!

> I'm currently working on patch #27 called "associate layout segment with nfs_page" in the attachment, so the previous 26 patches mI tagged the tree before I started, and I do a git diff against the tag after each extraction to ensure that the tree is unchanged, and I compile after each patch that I extract from the 'whole enchilada'.  I should have the tree down to 40-some patches by this weeks end. The resultant tree will be unchanged from the current pnfs-submit tree, and the last patch will be all the code that is either unused or has no effect.

If you find anything you need to change (like renaming stuff, etc.)
please just send SQUASHME patches on top of the pnfs-submit branch to keep things in sync.

> The subject of patch ownership was discussed during the pNFS conference call, but I have not added any authors/signers and would really like some help. There will be more work to do but we will be _much_ closer to a submission stream when I'm done. I think the first submission (this month) should be patches numbered 1-17 in the attachment which provides LAYOUTGET functionality.

As I suggested, since many of us will have contributed to the contents of most of the patches (please
excuse my poor English, I'm not sure I got the tenses right ;-)), let's set the Author: as
"The pNFS Team <linux-nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" and then we can hopefully derive the sign-offs automatically
using git correlated with the respective patches line numbers.

Benny