Re: Tuning NFS client write pagecache

On Aug 10, 2010, at 10:52 AM, Peter Chacko wrote:
> And caching itself is not useful  for any streaming datapath.(Be it
> NFS cache,or memory cache or cpu cache or even a web cache).. backup
> is write-only operation, for all file objects...

It seems to me this is only true if you're talking strictly about full backups.  Any kind of incremental or differential backup is likely to do a significant amount of reading in order to determine what files need to be sent, unless it's storing data about each backup locally.  rsync, for example, needs to read from both filesystems to build up its file list.

--

David Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics