Re: Tuning NFS client write pagecache

Hi,

Jim Rees wrote:
Matthew Hodgson wrote:

  Is there any way to tune the linux NFSv3 client to prefer to write
  data straight to an async-mounted server, rather than having large
  writes to a file stack up in the local pagecache before being synced
  on close()?

It's been a while since I've done this, but I think you can tune this with
vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs and vm.dirty_background_ratio sysctls.  The
data will still go through the page cache but you can reduce the amount
that
stacks up.

Yup, that does the trick - I'd tried this earlier, but hadn't gone far enough - seemingly I need to drop vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs down to 1 (and vm.dirty_background_ratio to 1) for the back-pressure to propagate correctly for this use case. Thanks for the pointer!

In other news, whilst saturating the ~10Mb/s pipe during the big write to the server, I'm seeing huge delays of >10 seconds on trying to do trivial operations such as ls'ing small directories. Is this normal, or is there some kind of tunable scheduling on the client to avoid a single big transfer wedging the machine?

thanks,

Matthew

--
Matthew Hodgson