Re: Write delegation

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 14:11 -0700, Yudong Gao wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, Andy!
>
> So the write delegation can only reduce the unnecessary open/close and
> lock/locku. But if a client modify the same page for multiple times,
> e.g. editing the file in a editor, is there any optimization to
> prevent the client from sending the half-updated pages? Ideally only
> the final update need to be put on the wire.

Yes. However that optimisation is not linked to whether or not we hold a
write delegation. The NFS client assumes close-to-open cache
consistency, and so will cache writes until either the VM tries to
reclaim memory by writing out dirty page, or the application calls one
of fcntl(F_UNLCK), fsync() or close().

Trond