RE: [nfsv4] 4.1 client - LAYOUTCOMMIT & close

> Note that a LAYOUTRETURN can arrive without LAYOUTCOMMIT if the client hasn't
> written to the file.  I'm not sure what about the blocks case though, do you
> implicitly free up any provisionally allocated blocks that the client had not
> explicitly committed using LAYOUTCOMMIT?

In principle, yes as the blocks are no longer promised to the client, although
lazy evaluation of this is an obvious optimization.

> >> "Upon receiving an OPEN, LOCK or a WANT_DELEGATION, the server must
> >> check that it has received LAYOUTCOMMITs from any other clients that may
> >> have the file open for writing. If it hasn't, then it MUST take some
> >> action to ensure that any file data changes are accompanied by a change
> >                            ^ potentially visible
> >> attribute update."
>
> That should be OK as long as it's not for every GETATTR for the change, mtime,
> or size attributes.
>

> >> Then you can add the above suggestion without the offending caveat. Note
> >> however that it does break the "SHOULD NOT" admonition in section
> >> 18.32.4.
>
> Better be safe than sorry in this rare error case.

I concur with Benny on both of the above - in essence, the unrecovered client failure is a reason to potentially ignore the "SHOULD" (server can't know whether it actually ignored the "SHOULD", hence better safe than sorry).  We probably ought to find a someplace appropriate to add a paragraph or two explaining this in one of the 4.2 documents.

Thanks,
--David