Problem: Clients freeze on transfer of large files, w gigabit lan

Good Day All,
   I and many others have been plagued by a problem that can be summarised
as follows:

Client hangs upon copying of large files TO the server. Transfer begins
quickly then hangs, sometimes taking the client o/s with it, until
transfer starts again. In less extreme cases transfer is sporadic.
   I am using nfs4 w gigabit nics.

   My experience is with debian and ubuntu clients and servers, as such I
started a thread on ubuntu forum to find similar cases to give you more to
work from:
It appears that this problem is not restricted to ubuntu and exists in at
least fedora and redhat as well.

More details and user experience is in the above forum thread.

   Help in solving this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jasper